Thursday, April 10

i hate the word paradox

I am preparing to take the exorbitantly priced GRE test and by doing this I'm building my vocabulary. I just don't understand how the root dox which means belief, teaching or opinion prefixed with para which means beside can combine to create the meaning of paradox. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I hate this post. This picture is from Portugal. I am eating barnacles. That's right, barnacles. Please don't mind the slight resemblance of man hands.

2 comments:

Starr said...

Sick! Do you ever watch Bizarre Foods on the travel channel? I saw him eat barnacles also. I like the picture.

Unknown said...

if dox means belief and para means beside,,then i would guess paradox means beside belief...or moreso..not "with" belief..that which is without understanding....i dunno..just a guess...