Thursday, May 13

oh restless nights

But at least the throbbing in my thumb from the splinter that wedged itself underneath my nail has gone, the pain kept me up all of last night. Tonight I have been reading pointless bloggs about child rearing, trips I may someday take,and unfathomable oil spills. The latter has really thrown me for a doozy the last few days, so much so that I haven't even written about the miracle of birth that I witnessed or the food I am beginning to grow. I have received a few volunteer emails from groups around Louisiana and am eager to help out firsthand, but the problem still looms and there is little set up to do for now. We can only hope the flow will stop. Unbelievable that the grand old US of A doesn't impose stricter regulations on possible catastrophic techniques. Will the band continue to play?
All of the craziness in the world reinforces my decision on not bringing children into this world. I have nothing against people that do, and am entirely appreciative that all of my sisters have birthed their own. But for me, I'll get me a few that need to be loved after I'm done with my schooling and have a stable adulthood, because 34 isn't mature yet..
But speaking of birth, I did witness one and what an event that was. Happy Birthday Holland James, on May 3 2010. What a smooth transition an epidural allows! I expected screaming and name calling etc, but got none of that. I cheered on my little sister and after about 3 hearty pushes she entered this earth. I did not expect the episiotomy and when I saw those shiny shears, I turned away and did not get to see the placenta delivered. Starr was able to watch everything and the god complex doctor explained where the cord was attached and all. How exciting Smith family! Glad it's not me! But happy to watch the talking child whenver you may need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am also reconsidering the idea of kids....i think it is a relatively selfish thing..i dunno....glad you got to see it happen tho.....was it the least bit traumatizing?