Monday, March 23

So happy to be an impudent American

Last night I'm driving my friend and her mother, a beautiful and soft spoken 63 year old Korean, to a massive Korean grocery store south of the city. To do this, I must take the freeway and as I am about to miss the exit I express my frustrations in the form of a profanity. In other words, I said shit. My friend, who is sitting in the front seat, hits me and says we don't talk like that in front of my mother. So the driver, who is at the time crossing over traffic lines in order to stay on the right freeway gets a little upset by the fact that I am being hit by my passenger and being told what to say and not to say in my car as I am doing a favor for the detainees. I express my frustration for being hit by repeating the aforementioned profanity another time only to be hit again. Now, I understand the whole respect for elders thing immensely, in fact it is often what I mentioned to my latino lover about holding respect for elders above others my own age aka jealous Mexicans. But when it comes down to fearing what ones own parent would think about their chosen friends foul mouth during a stressful situation and reacting in a manner that I find truly ridiculous then that is what makes me so thankful to be raised American and be able to sit with old and young and be myself.

No comments: